Medical University of the Americas
Medical University of the Americas was founded over 20 years ago on a philosophy of education that believes students are best-taught medicine in small classes, with one-on-one instruction, and with a commitment to providing education on par with U.S. and Canadian medical schools.
Today MUA continues to adhere to those founding principles, and has earned a reputation for academic excellence—and graduate success—that has made it a leader among international medical schools.
Here are just a few reasons so many doctors now get their start at MUA:
- Key U.S. Approvals: MUA is one of only a handful of international medical schools with approvals from the key states of New York, California, and Florida. This means that MUA students have access to high-quality clinical rotations in their 3rd and 4th years of medical school that would otherwise be unavailable to them, as well as access to sought-after residencies and licensure in the case of New York and California, respectively. Collectively, these approvals also make MUA graduates who complete the requisite licensing exams eligible to practice in all 50 U.S. states and Canada.
- Residency Placements: MUA students obtain residencies in competitive programs across the full range of medical specialties in the U.S. and Canada. Many of MUA’s graduates excel in their residencies, becoming Chief Residents, and many pursue Fellowship opportunities following residency. Since 2001, 88% of MUA graduates seeking residency have secured positions in programs in the U.S. and Canada.
- Access to U.S. Federal Financial Aid: MUA is one of a select group of international medical schools approved by the U.S. Department of Education to participate in the U.S. Federal Financial Aid programs.
- Integrated, Systems-Based Curriculum: MUA’s academic program is based on the integrated, systems-based approach in use at top U.S. medical schools. Diverse learning opportunities include interactive lectures, small-group work sessions, individual and group presentations, team-based learning, and simulations with standardized patients. In addition, our program offers learning experiences you won’t find at big international schools. For example, MUA’s first-semester anatomy class includes dissection of cadavers, as at many U.S. medical schools, giving you the early hands-on training you won’t get at the bigger schools. Also, MUA offers a special research module that teaches you critical analytical skills you’ll need throughout your medical career to evaluate and assimilate scientific evidence and continually expand your knowledge.
- USMLE Success: MUA students have a 95% first-time pass rate on the critically important USMLE Step 1 exam, on a tier with top U.S. medical schools.
- Clinical Rotations: MUA has an extensive clinical program at ACGME-approved teaching hospitals throughout the United States and Canada, providing the core knowledge and broad-based experience that is essential to obtaining a top residency.
- Our Faculty: All MUA faculty members have an advanced medical or doctoral degree (MD, MBBS, Ph.D.) in their academic field, with postgraduate training in their specialty, as well as demonstrated experience in teaching and research.
- Class Size: At the core of MUA’s educational philosophy is the belief that small class sizes, with significant student-teacher interaction, are fundamental to the student experience. This means that MUA students get one-to-one attention in the basic sciences and the ongoing support during the clinical rotations they need. This is a critical benefit that larger medical schools simply cannot offer.
- Canadian Students: Canadians make up a large proportion of each incoming class at MUA. MUA has a very strong track record of placing graduates in residencies in Canada and the U.S.
- Campus: Located on the beautiful island of Nevis, MUA’s 10-acre campus boasts modern classrooms (including a dedicated on-campus test center), fully equipped laboratories, an extensive library, and an island hospital where students can get clinical experience early in their basic sciences study. Outside the classroom, students enjoy well-appointed dorms and gym facilities, plus all the amenities of Nevis island life, including a weekly fresh produce market and the stunning beaches Nevis is famous for.
- Residential Hostel
- Industry focus learning
- Flexible learning
- Teaching skills